> Get a Fast Quote


Melbourne Engineering Consultants

If you are investing in another real estate property then there’s a big chance that you will encounter planning and building permits. These are regulatory requirements that should be in place when a specific type of project or construction needs to be completed. In the context of local laws and building codes, these are two separate permits which are controlled by a different set of laws. This means that your project may require a planning permit, a building permit, or both before the project can be realized. If in case your project requires a planning permit, you need to apply for this first before a building permit can be given.

What is a Planning Permit?

This is a document that gives you permission for land use and development. This type of permit encompasses a number of activities including but not limited to demolishing a property, extending a house, or removing a tree in the property. Planning is important in development for a number of reasons and it goes beyond a legal requirement. With planning, you can make decisions that can have an impact on your lifestyle, everyday life, and even the environment. It can take into account the impact of land use and the structure on the community. And the decisions that can be made relative to planning may be about the location of a property, its size, or the parking allocation for a residential property for rent.

What is a Building Permit?

The issuance of a building permit, on the other hand, is defined by the Building Regulations of 2006 and the Building Act of 1993. It is the main objective of the permit to ensure that the building or property to be built is structurally-safe and complies with existing regulations and requirements. In many cases, you will need to apply for a planning permit before a building permit can be released.

The best way to know if you need a planning or building permit is to contact the Council. During the process of application and implementation of the project, you may contact and work with a local engineering consultant that understands the council requirements. The team can help you meet the standard requirements and can also provide help during the design and construction process.


Your email address will not be published.